LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

Hidden Treasures
Hidden Treasures
May 1, 2024
Atticus and Roan with Churro Stands churros and strawberry yogurt parfait. Photo courtesy of Terrence Scannell.
Deliciousity
May 1, 2024

Unicorns Bundle Up

Winter styles for LACES students
Charlotte Panofsky
Harold Blegan in his D&D costume during club rush.

Finding an outfit to wear to school can be hard in the winter. LACES students spend a lot of time outside, like when walking between classes, and during nutrition and lunch. It can be especially chilly while waiting for the first bell in the morning. So how are students and staff dressing to stay cozy but still cute? 

“Always a beanie,” said senior Gabby Walters. On this day she sported a black beanie with her curly hair peeking out. “I have a few colorful beanies but I mainly wear black or gray.” 

She said the rest of her outfit would consist of some stylish joggers.

“Either a puffer, or I’ll have a hoodie and another jacket over it,” said Walters. “And then yeah, definitely a beanie.”

Assistant principal Mr. Oliver Rivas also always wears a hat to stay warm, but unlike Walters, it’s never a beanie. “It’s cold in the morning, so I always wear a hat with a bill, because the beanies don’t really suit me,” said Rivas. 

He said that since it’s mostly cold during mornings and evenings in Los Angeles, he likes to wear a heavy layer that he can remove. This morning, he wore a black zip up jacket with a camouflage sherpa lining. “I wear something heavy in the morning, and then light during the day. So that at noon, when I’m doing supervision in the field, it doesn’t become too hot,” said Rivas.

Rivas also expressed to Untied his surprise at LACES students’ tolerance for cold weather. “What surprises me is that a lot of the students wear shorts. They just go through their morning and day and it doesn’t seem like they get cold at all,” said Rivas.

However, 7th grade twins Eris and Oren Youngman are strong advocates for wearing shorts. “Wearing shorts instead of pants is definitely less itchy,” said Eris. “And more comfortable,” added Oren.

Junior Paige Ludwick also has some go-to items in her closet for colder days.

“Lately I’ve been wearing these two Canada hoodies,” said Ludwick. “One of them my friend gave to me, and it is from Canada.” She told Untied that she trusts it to keep her warm  due to Canada’s cold climate. Ludwick said she also likes to wear a stylish cardigan or sweater. On this day she dressed in a cream-colored, knitted zip up from the brand ROXY. “I like to keep it pretty neutral with the cardigans, just keeping the colors cohesive with the rest of my outfit,” she said. 

Ludwick poses in her neutral ROXY cardigan. (Charlotte Panofsky)

Speaking of colors, 8th grader Lily Havens has a particular color palette that she likes to stick to in the winter. “In winter, I like to wear red, navy blue, black, white and brown,” said Havens. But in the summer, her color choices are slightly different. “My summer palette is light blue, light yellowish tan, light pink, black and white.”
With Walters’ black and gray beanies, Rivas’ camo jacket, Ludwick’s neutral cardigan, and Havens’ color pallet, it looks like LACES unicorns prefer to keep their winter outfits tame in terms of color.

Now that we know the everyday favorites of winter fashion, freshman Harold Blegen is here to talk about his specialty look. On this particular day, Club Rush was being held in the zone, and Blegen was wearing a costume to represent the Dungeons & Dragons club. Sporting the latest in medieval menswear, Blegan was wearing the finest of Spirit Halloween tunics along with a cape and faux leather belt. To top it off, he kept his shoulders nice and protected with some plastic armor of the highest quality.

“I wouldn’t recommend wearing this,” said Blegen, gesturing to his Crusader-esque costume. “I’m just advertising for Dungeons & Dragons club. It’s pretty clunky, and also covers up most of my style.” But Blegen said he isn’t too bothered about being cold. “I don’t get cold very easily, but I do feel colder wearing this costume. I wouldn’t recommend wearing a costume all the time. It’s a little bit too flashy for my taste.”