LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

Bathroom Baddies

Bathrooms closed due to student behavior.
The+state+of+the+boys+bathrooms+at+LACES.+
Henry Stein
The state of the boys’ bathrooms at LACES.

The LACES restrooms, aside from having the pitfalls of the standard high school bathroom, have taken a turn for the worse. Recently, Principal Kimberly Lesure announced that the upstairs orange, blue, and green building bathrooms will be closed daily at lunch. This is in part due to drug use and an increase in other negative behaviors that take place in the restrooms at LACES.

Custodian Mr. Richard Fisher has noticed more and more problems in the bathrooms

every day.

“People will break the paper towel dispensers and take off the soap dispensers,” Fisher said. “This behavior tends to ramp up towards the end of the year, and I’ve seen an uptick in graffiti.”

At LACES, custodian Ms. Alicia Johnson has seen an increase in vaping in the restrooms among students this year compared to past years she has worked at LACES.

“I’ve noticed that there has been more vaping in the bathrooms this year compared to the past two years,” Johnson said.

Not just staff have noted the difference in the restrooms. Senior Devin Lawson has taken the issues into account.

“Whenever I walk into the upstairs blue [building] bathroom there is always something off,” Lawson said. “Whether it’s a trash can that has been thrown into a stall or tons of unused paper towels scattered around the floor, there’s

always something.”

Junior Derrion Anderson has definitely observed some of those unfortunate features. He is fed up with the state of the bathrooms and says it is hard for people even to wash their hands.

“It’s hard for people to clean their hands or clean themselves after they use the restrooms,” Anderson said. “There’s paper towels and tissue missing and it’s hard for people to use the bathroom in peace.”

Dean Mr. Marlon Shows helped make the executive decision this year to close the upstairs bathrooms at lunch.

“I don’t track the source of the referrals on an annual basis,” said Shows. “But I can say that if students aren’t respecting the facilities, then I have no choice but to close them.”λ

every day.

always something.”

Junior Darreon Anderson has definitely observed some of those unfortunate features. He is fed up with the state of the bathrooms and says it is hard for people even to wash their hands.