LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

Welcome ED!

New AI chatbot available on LAUSD’s website.

In March of this year, LAUSD introduced an AI tool named Ed to all schools in the district, designed to serve as a personal assistant for students Sto help with daily tasks and school-related activities. Ed has  many capabilities including timely support, progress monitoring, multilingual abilities and personalized

learning activities.

Ed offers access to resources and communication, as well as interactive learning paths tailored to individual student needs across various academic subjects. It facilitates navigation with clear alerts and updates on academic performance, ensuring continuous improvement and graduation readiness. Ed also has multilingual communication and pre-approved content from major curriculum providers. Ed is poised to transform the learning landscape and is being used for the first time in an educational setting, according to LAUSD.

“Los Angeles Unified, the second-largest district in the nation, is the first to systematically leverage AI,” said LAUSD’s website.

Administrators believe Ed could benefit students both academically and in other areas. Students may be able to ask Ed for help with homework, grades, and online resources.

“It should be a support for students, both academically, socially and emotionally, that they can reach out to the AI for help in school and other things,” said Magnet Coordinator Ms. Nikki Derdzinske.

While AI has its benefits, there are some concerns, especially among teachers. They worry that the increase in AI use within the educational space will not be beneficial.

“I think it’s turning teachers more into proctors than teachers,” said English teacher Mr. Adam Tan.

With AI that helps educate and guide students widely available, what will the place be for teachers?

“I don’t believe it’ll benefit teaching at all,” said Tan.λ