LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

Hidden Treasures

Exploring LA’s flea markets
Hidden+Treasures
Los Feliz Flea

For LACES students looking to find vintage and one-of-a-kind merchandise, flea markets are the spots worth looking out for. With a variety of items and clothing to pick from, whether it be ceramics or a vintage T-shirt, these markets never run out of eye-catching products. Los Angeles is a hot spot for these spaces to pop up. From Melrose Trading Post, Silverlake Flea Market, Slauson Super Mall and more, there’s bound to be one close to home. 

Senior Santino Mosley recalled his frequent visits to the Melrose Trading Post. 

“I went to the flea market when I was a kid,” said Mosley. “I used to work as a vendor with my mom to help her out.”

He has fond memories of going to the market and spoke fondly of his experiences there. 

“I have been going recently,” he said. “I buy gifts for people and go there just to go.”

To see what was so good about flea markets, I visited the Los Feliz Flea Market located at 1030 Alpine St. Los Angeles. The two-story building offers a variety of vendors selling all sorts of items to elevate outfits and home decor. 

On the bottom floor, visitors can walk in to find homemade decorations such as crochet flower baskets or ceramic dog mugs to add to their collections. A variety of food vendors also offer fresh food ranging from dumplings to Thai tea. There is more to find on the top floor; vendors line up on both sides with a variety of gadgets and knick-knacks. 

Something that stood out amongst everything was the community found. Everyone is willing to help each other, whether they’re looking for directions to parking or telling each other where they discovered their latest haul. When walking into the market there is a sense of unity and comfort, making it a place to connect with others.

We also revisited the Slauson Super Mall found on 1600 W Slauson Ave. Open for business since 1958, the indoor flea market has been available to the community to find anything and everything that they need. The open space allows many vendors to set up their shops and sell their goods, food and material items. 

Junior Jadyn Burnett has visited the Slauson Super Mall. She praised its convenience and accessibility as a “one-stop mall.”

“You can get everything,” Burnett said. “I’ve gotten shoes, and I once went with somebody that got a piercing there. You can get your nails done there.”

Overall, the Los Angeles flea markets are hidden gems where you can find commodities and artifacts visitors won’t be able to find anywhere else. By exploring these places, visitors might find something that catches their eye.