LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

Hidden Treasures
Hidden Treasures
May 1, 2024
Atticus and Roan with Churro Stands churros and strawberry yogurt parfait. Photo courtesy of Terrence Scannell.
Deliciousity
May 1, 2024

Goodbye and Best Wishes

Counselor Ms. Evans leaves LACES
Ms.+Evans+last+day+counseling+at+LACES.+
India Quan-Kep
Ms. Evans last day counseling at LACES.

After eight and a half years with the LACES community, Ms. Gina Evans is saying goodbye to the school. Working in the counseling office as a records clerk, she is moving on to Crenshaw High School to work as a counselor. She officially left LACES on February 23rd.

Students walking into the the counseling office, would be welcomed by Evans playing her R&B and singing to the tunes. She would constantly be working with the LACES counselors, whether it be consoling a child, or partaking in lunch with them.

Ms. Lauren Swick, an art teacher, has known Ms. Evans since her time working at Westchester high school. Ms. Evans then held a position in their magnet office while Ms. Swick worked in the art department.

“She had a good sense of humor, always making jokes,” said Swick. “We both had the same sense of humor and would always have a good laugh.”

While Ms. Che Grant, the 6th grade counselor,  only worked with Ms. Evans for a short period of time, she only had good things to say about her and her work at LACES.

“She was honest, straightforward and very helpful,” said Grant “She was a team player, whenever  something came up she would help to get it done.”

Evans left the biggest impact on the students that she has helped guide along the way to success. Senior Talia Juma has grown close to Ms. Evans over the years she has been here and is sad to see her go.

“I met her at the end of 11th grade and I’ve been constantly visiting her ever since,” said Juma “She’s really been there for me this senior year so far, [she was] a really big support system that I counted on.”

Evans expresses her excitement and nervousness when transitioning over to Crenshaw.

“It’s kinda scary going to a new environment,” said Evans. “I know it’ll be kinda lonely at first but I know myself and know that I can navigate myself through it.”

Her start at Crenshaw will only be the opening for her to gain new experiences and bond with the students there that will need her counseling. Despite this, she will miss those that she is leaving behind as they left a large impact on her.

“I have come to really love the kids here because they’re so warm.” said Evans “When I’m having rough days my students can just pop in and just say ‘Hey Ms. E!’.”

She is excited for her next chapter at Crenshaw, but is proud of her time spent at LACES, and will miss members of the LACES community.

“I’m grateful for my time here.” said Evans “I believe I’ve done the best I could do with the circumstances presented to me. I will miss the students most, and the camaraderie I share with the teacher staff.” Good luck at Crenshaw, Ms. Grant! LACES will miss you!λ