LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

The Truth About BAM

Becoming A Midwife
    Willa Queen-Yglesias
    Sophmore Sanai Khalil and her newborn baby boy.

The LACES community knows and loves the BAM program, but the one thing they don’t know about the program, beside their Wingstop parties, is what they actually do. After going undercover as men, we have discovered the real truth of BAM. BAM is an acronym that stands for Becoming A Midwife. The truth about the mission of BAM is finally coming to light: to build an army of talented and caring boys with midwifing powers. 

A midwife is somebody who helps assist a woman giving birth. During our time as undercover men, we found out why this program exists.

Mr. Darrell Morris is the leader of the BAM program, and has lots of midwifing experience. “I was a mid midwife in my previous work experience so the understanding that I could contribute this necessary knowledge,” said Darrell. He wanted to bring a midwife program to LACES because he felt the need for more information about the midwifing area.

“I mean it’s necessary because we don’t know what the situation is, we don’t know what women go through, so to understand the pain, trials and tribulations it’s something that we need to understand and it’s a great training tool to have,” said Darrell. He said that the boys are in the beginning stages of learning, but are all very enthusiastic. 

“They are not at that level yet, but they will be. They’re on their way. I do not have a top student, they are all equally amazing,” said Darrell. BAM student and sophomore Devine Anderson is highly inspired by his teacher Darrell, and really understands the importance of Becoming A Midwife. 

“Derrell is a fantastic teacher, he’s very consistent when it comes to situations where we need help,” said Anderson. “I’ve seen the pain and I heard it, and I was like yo that must be a lot of pain they’re going through, so why not be a better person and help those ladies.” Anderson said he looks up to Darrell, but also his fellow midwife trainees. 

“I would look at this guy named Emmanuel Duru. He really knows his ways around, all the rules, all the basics, basically,” said Anderson. Spreading the skill of midwifing is beneficial to our community, and also the whole world. 

While Darrell explained the powers of being a midwife he said “It’s kind of like driving a car, It’s necessary. You never know when you’ll need it, but understanding that the skill is always going to be there,” he said. Darrell is inspiring and training these boys so well that some even want to pursue being midwives in their future. 

“Yes, 1000% yes, I would like to be a midwife when I’m older,” said Anderson. “It is important that we let the community know that midwives are all around the world.”

BAM members walking into a training session. (Willa Queen-Yglesias)