LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

Girls’ Tennis and Volleyball Champs

Tennis and volleyball teams take Dll Championships.
Taizo Nakayama

The Girls tennis and volleyball teams made LACES history this 2023 fall season, both winning their respective Division 2 Championships.

The LACES Girl Tennis team won against Banning High School on November 1st. They beat them 21.5-8 and have now finished their season. Their coach, Mr. Chung, commented on the team’s work and progress for the season, “ I was really happy with them and the work ethic. They stayed late working their best, stayed late practicing, stayed on weekends, they have developed a love for the sport. “ 

The LACES Girls Volleyball team also won the Los Angeles City Section Division Championship, defeating GALA in four sets, 28-26, 17-25, 25-19, and 25-16 on Saturday. Sophomore Kalyani Olive led the team with 26 kills and 7 aces. Senior Mia Orr led the way with 40 assists, and sister sophomore Catie Orr had a 2.13 serve-receive average in 32 attempts.

The game was a rematch of the Division III Championship from last year, which GALA won in five sets. This marks LACES’ first division championship since 2013 when they won the Division IV championship. The Championship game was LACES’ 21st win of the season, a record for most wins in program history. Their .724 win percentage is also the best in the last 20 years.

The volleyball team was the #4 seed in the California Division V State Playoffs and made it to the SoCal Regional semi-finals before losing to Rancho Dominguez High School in 5 sets.