LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

Thrifty Gifts: 10 gifts for $10

Kylie Monterosso

Need a great gift for someone, but don’t want to break the bank? LACES Untied has you covered with this list of gifts costing $10 or less.

Playlist

A custom playlist is one of the most personal and heartfelt gifts you can give. Use songs from artists that you and your friend share a love for, or just ones you think they’d enjoy. For bonus points, add a photo of them for the cover.

Planned Excursion

A planned outing is a fun and memorable twist on traditional gift giving, and there are tons of options around LA. Museums like the Science Center, The Broad, and the Getty offer completely free admission. For outdoor options, try exploring Griffith Park, Runyon Canyon, or the UCLA botanical gardens. All you’ll have to pay for is transportation and some snacks to bring along.

Homemade Cookie Mix in a Jar

These sweet gifts are easy for the giver and fun for the receiver. There are dozens of recipes for them online- pick one for your friend’s favorite type of cookie. From there, you just need a jar and some ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Just make sure to include a tag detailing the instructions for baking with the mix. Make the cookies together for a fun holiday activity. 

Framed Photo

A framed photo of the two of you together is the perfect way to show you value your time with someone. Drugstores like CVS and Walgreens print 4×6 photos for less than 50 cents each, and there are plenty of nice frames available for 5-8 dollars at Target, Amazon, or your local thrift store.

Stuff You Got for Free

More likely than not, there are people in your neighborhood trying to give things away for free. Use platforms like Freecycle or join your local “Buy Nothing” group on Facebook. You can easily find items like jewelry, books, games, and other knick knacks that make great gifts.

1. Their Favorite Snacks

What better way to show someone how well you know them than to buy them their favorite snacks? This gift will always be a hit, and may save your friend a trip to the grocery store. Pair a salty snack like chips or cheetos with something sweet. For an extra nice touch, put them in a gift bag and add some ribbon.

A Plant

Get your nature-loving friend a plant for the holidays! Plants brighten up a room, cost very little, and can last the gift recipient years and years. Succulents, like snake plant and aloe, are perfect options because they’re inexpensive and extremely low maintenance. If you know your friend has plant experience, try a small orchid– they’re more finicky, but make gorgeous gifts. Most grocery stores have a small selection of plants, but for more variety, try hardware stores like Home Depot.

Thrifted Book

Go into almost any thrift store and they will have some sort of book collection. Second-hand books are a sustainable gift that you can personalize to fit someone’s interests. There are even stores that sell secondhand books exclusively—for a quick holiday shop you can pop down to Sideshow Books a few blocks from LACES at 1639 La Cienega Blvd after school. For an extra touch, cut up a cereal box, piece of cardstock, ribbon or fabric to make a bookmark. You can write a nice note on the bookmark if you feel so inclined. 

Tea

Tea is a small luxury that is comforting, warm, and lovely around the holidays. Tea is sold at grocery stores, and there is a wide variety of choices. If you’re not sure what kind of tea they prefer, chai is always a safe bet– and its warm spiciness makes it perfect for the holidays.

Gift Card to a Local Coffee Shop

This supports a local business and is a gift that can be used at any time! Some nice spots near LACES are Eyes Peeled Coffee and Little Miss Cafe. Both have similar options as far as drinks, but Little Miss has a more extensive menu of meal options while Eyes Peeled specializes in freshly-baked pastries.