LACES Untied

LACES Untied

LACES Untied

Girls Tennis Takes a Win

Willa Queen-Yglesias
Jane Luce and Chloe Bonilla pose after the game.

On Thursday, August 30th, the Girls Tennis team won their first match against University High School 7-0. 

“I’m nervous, but not super nervous because I know we got this.” Said 10th grader Chloe Bonilla before the match. It was her and 10th grader Jane Luce’s first game day. 

“I’ve only been practicing for two weeks,” said 10th grader Jane Luce. “I was on the team last year, but never played in a game.”

Overall the girls were feeling pretty good before the game started.

“I’m feeling confident yet cautious, I’m feeling excited, I’m feeling cute, and I’m feeling ready.” said 10th grader and varsity player Samara Wittenberg. She’s been playing tennis since she was in 6th grade. 

“I think they’re gonna get beasted.” were Wittenberg’s last words before the match.

The 11th graders explained how the team had been practicing for the match. “Coming to practices, lots of drilling, and lots of hitting has prepared us for today,” said 11th grader Hannah Bekele. “Mr. Chung is so awesome. He’s so supportive.”

Mr. Chung, the coach of Girls Tennis, only has good things to say about this season, commenting, “Of course we had a lot of new people come in who had never played tennis before, but the girls who were already on the team worked really hard over summer. A lot of them went to tennis camps, a lot of them had been practicing…it’s really fantastic.”

There have been lots of changes with the team since the last Girls Tennis season. 

“From our last year’s varsity team, out of the ten girls, it was eight seniors. So our varsity team is completely new this year,” said Mr. Philip Chung. He added, “And plus, from last year we only had about fifteen people, and eight left, but this year our girls team has thirty one people, so we had twenty three new people come in.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to LACES Untied

Your donation will support the student journalists of LACES Magnet. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.